In the second episode of John Scott’s Sewing World, John was all about vivid fabrics from Kaffe Fassett and the Gemini Build-a-Block Dies. Combining them, he showed off the most beautiful cushions, which you can recreate by following the steps below! Try out this project with your favourite colours and prints for a personal touch.
You will need:
- Gemini Die-Cutting and Embossing Machine
- Gemini Build-a-Block Die Set
- Kaffe Fassett Fat Quarter bundle – Green
- 17″ x 17″ wadding
- 15″ x 15″ cushion pad
- 0.5m plain fabric
- Eight 6.5″ quarter square triangles patterned fabric
- 16 3.5″ half square triangles solid fabric
- Two 16″ x 12″ for the backing
- Two 14″ x 2.5″ patterned fabric for border
- Two 16″ x 2.5″ patterned fabric for border
Use a 0.25″ seam allowance throughout.
Sew one half square triangle to each side of a quarter square triangle and press.
Sew two together with the points facing forward. You will now have four blocks of two.
Sew the four blocks together. Refer to the photo for placement.
Add the borders to the top, bottom and sides.
Lay on top of wadding and quilt as desired. Trim to 16″ x 16″.
To make the cushion back, fold over the long edge by ½” twice, then press and sew. Repeat for the second piece. With right sides together, place the backing pieces on to the cushion front and sew around all four edges. Clip the corners, turn inside out and insert the cushion pad.