A handmade gift is a great way to show your appreciation, love and thanks to the people in your life. But if you’ve never crafted before, it can be a daunting prospect!
Follow our easy-to-follow guide to decorate a candle and matching gift bag with hand-crafted meaning and create something special.
In this project we’ve used the Say it With Style set from Crafter’s Companion. It has everything you need to customise your make with the perfect message. So you can get creative for all occasions, from thank-you gifts for teachers to the sweetest wedding favours!
Say it with Style by Crafter’s Companion
Inside this beautifully presented box are over 125 elements, including a library of sentiment stamps carefully designed to align perfectly with banner and label die panels to cut and create multiple sentiments at once!
So you can create your own collection of ready-made sentiment banners and labels for homemade cards, decorations, gift bags and boxes and so much more.
Every stamp panel includes a range of themed messages, from birthday greetings and joyful celebrations to Christmas wishes and thoughtful ‘just because’ sentiments. With a range of elegant fonts and styles for each occasion there’s something for every card and craft creation!
Simply stamp the full set of sentiments from your chosen panel, overlay the corresponding die and cut multiple sentiments in one pass through your Gemini die cutting machine.
How to create a decorated candle and matching gift bag
You will need:
- Crafter’s Companion Say it with Style
- Coloured card
- Patterned paper
- Finesse Alcohol Proof Inkpad – Noir Black
- Gold card
- Ultimate Pro Scoreboard
- Crafter’s Companion Glue Tape Pen
- Pokey Tool
- Spectrum Noir TriBlend Marker in your choice of colour
- Gemini Die Cutting Machine
- Take a piece of card from your Say it with Style box. Choose one of the stamp panels and line it up with the sheet of card.
- Apply Finesse Alcohol Proof Ink to the stamp and stamp down onto the card.
- Lay the die panel on top of the stamped card and align the crosses on the die with the matching crosses on the stamped card.
- Follow the instructions with your Gemini Die Cutting machine to run the die and stamped card through. Use the Pokey Tool to separate each sentiment piece.
- Use a TriBlend marker to add colour to the edge of your chosen sentiment piece.
- Cut a piece strip of card 1.75″ wide and the diameter of the candle plus .0.5″ long.
- Repeat the process to cut a piece of patterned paper to measure 1.5″ wide and the diameter of the candle plus 0.5″ long.
- Finally cut a 2.25″ circle in the card and paper.
- Layer up the patterned paper strips, circles and sentiment piece as shown.
- Wrap the strip around the candle and secure at the back with adhesive.
- Cut two pieces of patterned paper to measure 11″ x 10″ and 4″ x 10″.
- Take the larger piece, score down the short edge at 3″. On the long edge score at 0.5″, 3.5″, 7.5″ and 10.5″.
- Also score down the 2” mark and 9” mark stopping about 1″ above the horizontal line then score to the corners as shown.
- On the smaller piece score at the 3” line on the longest edge
- Burnish and fold all the lines on both sheets of card
- Glue the edges of the card together and fold into a bag.
- Cut some gold card 3 ½” x 6 ½”. Choose patterned paper to match the bag, cut to 3 ¼” x 6 ¼” and stick both sheets together.
- Choose a stamped and cut out sentiment from the set you created earlier and add colour to the edge with a TriBlend Marker.
- Attach a piece of ribbon behind your sentient and attach to the front of the gold card and patterned paper piece. Attach to the front of the gift bag.
- Use a sharp tool (such as the Pokey Tool) to piece small holes into the gift bag as shown.
- Thread ribbon or twine through the holes and tie at the ends to create handles.
We can’t wait to see your finished makes! So, don’t forget to show us your handmade gifts on Facebook UK, Facebook USA, Twitter, Instagram UK, Instagram US, Pinterest UK or Pinterest US using the hashtag #crafterscompanion