Find out how to make interactive cards that reveal a fun surprise inside when opened! Just follow our surprisingly simple step-by-step guide to delight friends and family with extra special cards for birthdays and celebrations.
We’ve used the Gemini Shutter Dies set for this project. This set includes everything you need to build and decorate cards with with a super-smart mechanism that rotates like a camera shutter to reveal a cute surprise when the card is opened.
You will need:
- Gemini Shutter Dies set
- Patterned paper, we used:
- Card, we used:
- Spectrum Noir Water Reactive Inkpad – Ocean Blue
- Spectrum Noir Acrylic Paint Marker – Gold
- Spectrum Noir Acrylic Paint Marker – White
- Collall All Purpose Glue
- Collall Tacky Glue
- Red Liner Tape 6mm Width
- Die Cutting Machine
- Cut a piece of pink pearl card to 10″ x 7″.
- Score at 2 1/2″ from each side as shown.
- Take another piece of pink pearl card and cut to 8″ x 3 1/2″.
- Score a 1/2″ from each side as shown.
- Take your Shutter Dies set and die cut the pennant shaped mechanism die twice from pink pearl card.
- Cut two pieces of patterned paper to measure 6 3/4″ x 2 1/4″.
- Cut two pieces of paper with a different pattern to the same size.
- Glue two of the panels to the front and two to the inside of your card base.
- Cut a piece of patterned paper to 6 ¾” x 3 ¼” and glue onto the 8” x 3 ½” folded piece.
- Choose an aperture die from the Shutter Die set and cut into the centre of your 8″ x 3 1/2″ piece.
- Die cut a frame in the same shape in pink pearl card and glue in place around the aperture.
- Construct the card by adhering the folded edges of the two pennant shapes into the sides of the 10” x 7” folded piece.
- Glue the 8” x 3 ½” piece over the mechanism, ensuring that the aperture lines up with the mechanism in the centre.
- Red Liner Tape is best for adhering a moving mechanism like this.
- Choose and die-cut decorations from the Shutter Dies set.
- Add details with paint markers and ink.
- Attach to your card as the finishing touch!
We can’t wait to see your finished makes! So, don’t forget to show us your creations on Facebook UK, Facebook USA, Twitter, Instagram UK, Instagram US, Pinterest UK or Pinterest US using the hashtag #crafterscompanion