Combine the beauty and elegance of embroidery with the versatility and fun of papercraft to make beautiful hand stitched cards. Ideal for so many occasions, a card with a delicate, embroidered centrepiece will make anyone’s special day that little bit more special, and is something to keep and cherish for years to come.
If you’ve never picked up a needle and thread before, don’t worry! We’ve used the Embroidery Frame Dies from Gemini for this project and they make it amazingly simple for all abilities. Each set creates a design complete with a pre-cut stitching guide. Just follow the holes with a needle and thread and voila – a beautiful, hand stitched and embroidered card!
You will need:
- Gemini Create-a-Card Wreath Of Roses Embroidery Frame Die
- Crafter’s Companion Embroidery Thread Pack: Rainbow
- Embroidery needle
- A sentiment stamp
- Nature’s Garden Beautiful Butterflies 12” x 12” Paper Pad
- Multi-Purpose Card
- Pink Card
- Spectrum Noir Quick-Dry Inkpad: Fuchsia
- White adhesive pearls
- Collall All-Purpose Glue
- Foam Pads: 3mm Depth
- Red-Liner Tape: 6mm Width
- Low-Tack Tape
- Score board and scoring tool
- Die cutting machine
How to make the hand stitched design
- Take the outer die and the stitched detail die from the Wreath of Roses set and line up on a piece of Multi-Purpose Card.
- Run through your die cutting machine.
3. Choose your embroidery thread colours and separate two strands of each.
4. Thread one colour onto your embroidery needle.
5. Follow the die-cut holes to stitch the design into your card.
6. Use a piece of Low-Tack Tape to secure the ends of the thread onto the back of the card when you finish.
7. Repeat with the other colours to complete your design.
How to make the card base
1. Cut a piece of patterned paper to 5 ½” x 5 ½”.
2. Cut a piece of pink card to 5 ¾” x 5 ¾”.
3. Cut a piece of Multi-Purpose card to 6” x 6”.
4. Layer the three pieces together from largest to smallest and glue in place to create a mat and layered effect.
5. Measure a piece of Multi-Purpose card to 6 ½” x 3” and cut out.
6. Score ½” from the top.
7. Use a guillotine to cut a piece of patterned paper to 5 ½” x 2 ½”.
8. Stamp your chosen sentiment onto the centre.
9. Cut a piece of pink card 2 ¾” x 5 ¾” piece of pink card
10. Layer the patterned piece with the sentiment on top of the pink card and attach to the card panel created in step 6.
11. Add a strip of Red Liner Tape to the scored tab at the top of your long panel.
12. Use this to attach it to the card base as shown.
13. Use foam pads to adhere the stitched topper to the centre of the card base.
14. Finish with three pearls in the top left and bottom right-hand corners.
Find everything you need to make your own hand stitched cards and find inspiration for your next make in our online papercraft department!
And don’t forget, we love to see your finished makes! So, make sure to show us your finished creations on Facebook UK, Facebook USA, Twitter, Instagram UK, Instagram US, Pinterest UK or Pinterest US using the hashtag #crafterscompanion