December is almost here, and the best way to celebrate the start of the festive season is with an advent calendar packed with special treats for you and your loved ones.
You will need:
Fabric Panels (included in kit)
0.75 Metres of Wadding
Basic Sewing Kit
Preparation is key for every project, but particularly when working with soft crafts, as there are often many different tools and pieces that you need. Before starting your advent calendar, we’d recommend cutting the following pieces.
- Cut the wadding and backing fabric to 66.7cm x 66.6cm.
- Cut three tab panels measuring 4cm x 10cm.
- Cut five binding strips measuring 5cm x 66cm.
1. Cut the advent calendar front out of the fabric panel.
2. Cut all the numbered pockets from the right side of the fabric panel.
3. Press the edge of each pocket to the wrong side of the panels, ensuring that the cream edge can no longer be seen from the front. Top stitch along the top edge of each pocket.
4. Arrange the pockets on the front of the advent calendar panel. Match each pocket with its corresponding number. Top stitch along the two sides and bottom edge of each pocket.
5. Create your quilt sandwich by layering the following: backing fabric (right side facing down), wadding, and advent calendar front (right side facing up). Quilt as desired or simply baste around the edge to secure the layers.
6. With the right sides facing, fold the tab strip in half bringing the long edges together. Sew down the edge, then turn so the right side of the fabric is now facing. Press, top stitch down the two long edges. Repeat with the remaining tab strips.
7. Fold the three tabs in half and position them equally along the top edge of the lining side of the advent calendar. Baste stitch in place.
8. Join all five binding strips together. Fold and press the binding in half lengthways with the wrong sides facing. Pin and sew it to the advent calendar front, aligning the raw edges.
9. Fold the binding to the reverse side of the advent calendar and hand or machine-stitch it in place to secure.
Your gingerbread advent calendar is now complete and ready to fill with sweet treats and gifts!
Looking for more Christmas inspiration? Find bundles of step-by-step craft guides right here
on our blog!