Stitch your own hair scrunchie - a step-by-step guide
- Read time: 2 minutes
- Written by: Crafters
Have a go at sewing and craft your own cute hair scrunchie with this easy to follow guide!
It's time to start the New Year with a New Craft! So, whether you're a total beginner and want to try sewing for the first time, or are looking to broaden your crafting horizons with a new skill, this guide has everything you need to know.
Just follow the step-by-step instructions and images and you'll have a picture perfect fabric hair scrunchie with a bow in no time at all. These cute hair accessories are ideal to give as gifts, or keep for yourself as an extra treat.
You will need:
- Fat Quarter fabric pieces - whichever colour or pattern you like!
- 4mm elastic
- Collall Textile Glue
- Sewing machine (this project can also be done by hand)
- Basic Sewing kit:
- Cut one rectangle of fabric to measure 3” x 19”. Cut 2 pieces of fabric into matching bow shapes as in the image. Fold the rectangular piece in half lengthways.
- Starting and stopping 1.5" from the short ends stitch along the raw edge of the folded rectangular piece using a 1/4” seam allowance.
- Feed one short end through the length of the rectangle until both the short ends meet up.
- Stitch across the short ends
- Using the gap in the sides pull the Scrunchie through to the right side
- Your Scrunchie is now a circle with a gap in the seam. Iron carefully
- Take approximately 8.5 inches of elastic and using a large safety pin feed in through the gap in the seam. Join the ends of the elastic by stitching them together using a small zig-zag stitch
- Use a small amount of textile glue to close the gap in the seam and set aside to dry
- Place the two bow pieces right sides together and stitch all the way round leaving a 2- 3 inch gap in one side. Trim the points and the curves to reduce bulk
- Turn through to the right side and press. Use textile glue to close the gap in the seam
- Tie the bow round the scrunchie covering the glued seam in the process
You're all done! Time to tie up your hair in style with the cutest hair scrunchie! And now that you've mastered the technique you can experiment with different fabric colours and patterns to create something truly unique!
We can’t wait to see your sewing makes! So, make sure you share your project photos with us on Facebook UK, Facebook USA, Twitter, Instagram UK, Instagram US, Pinterest UK or Pinterest US using the hashtag #crafterscompanion